Import regulations for used and new cars from Japan to Kenya
Brand New or used cars imported to Kenya are shipped to the maritime port of Mombasa by either RORO or container.
When importing a used vehicle to Kenya, one must consider that the vehicle should be not older than 8 years.
Road Worthiness Inspection (JEVIC Inspection)
Used vehicles imported to Kenya must undergo a “Road Worthiness Inspection”. Road Worthiness Inspection in case of all imports of used cars from Japan to Kenya must be performed by JEVIC: jevic/roadworthiness-kenya/
QIS is a strict vehicle safety inspection test. It ensures that the vehicle being sent has genuine mileage, has no damage to the chassis, all lights are working, no major rust, has tyres that are safe enough to drive with, has good working brakes and the constant velocity joints are not worn out.
All used cars exported to Kenya by Japan Car Direct pass the QIS Inspection and have a QIS certificate.
Import Taxation in Kenya
Please see: http://www.dutycalc.co.ke/ to calculate the Kenya side duty.
- The calculation is based on the Current Retail Selling Price (CRSP) where the subject model is still in production, and if the subject vehicle model is not in production the CRSP that applies is the last retail selling price or how much it was costing before non-production. KRA have a well-organized vehicle prices data base for all vehicles that they use and provide online for reference (Please see current CRSP rates here: kra.customs-services).
- Depending on the age of the subject vehicle you obtain the depreciation Rate again from their set templates.
- The Import Duty, Excise Duty, VAT and IDF Fee are set, and the Total Tax (Duty) is obtained. However there is an additional vehicle Registration cost that needs to be paid to KRA before the vehicle can leave the CFS. All vehicles must have a registration a number, and insurance coverage before they are allowed to leave the CFS.
- Once the Vehicle is in the Port of Mombasa, they may give you Free storage for a number of days depending on the CFS, after which the vehicle begins to attract charges if it exceeds the free storage days.
- You also have to pay for clearing charges which are approximately Ksh 40,00 to Ksh 50,000 per vehicle.
- The importer to inquire the duty in comparison to CC, Year Model and other modalities.
- The motor vehicle is identified through internet such as Kobe, Papera, IBC JAPAN, Autorec etc.
- Currency commonly used USD, Japanese YEN.
- The Pro-forma details are sent through your email.
- The model currently for importation allowed by Kenyan law for used vehicles is 2007.
- Make negotiations i.e discounts<./li>
- Japan shall confirm on the negotiation on FOB USD values or on the total CIF USD Mombasa.
- Importer will make his payment to his Japan car sell through account given on the Pro-forma invoice or the agent authorized such as TRADE CAR VIEW for safe custody of car payment but will commission to make his down payment through our reputable local banks.
- The importer to have the receipt for remittances and thereafter email it to his agent in Japan.
- Japan trader shall confirm payment against the stock number and thereafter inspection shall be done.
- It will take an average of 2 weeks for inspection to be done and one month for delivery of the Documents on the Importation, Bill of Lading, Japan Log Book Original, Translated Logbook, Japan Inspection Report and Final invoice
Kenya Customs procedures Shipping lines
- 3 original B/L – First Original for shipping line signed by the owner
- Japan Logbook
- QIS Report
- Invoice – value to be compared to CRSP guideline
- PIN copy
- ID copy
- IDF fees advance payment of Kshs 5000 to KRA
- Manifest reference inquiry from shipping lines
- Your agent to declare the cargo to KRA –Tradex System- Duty paid
- The cargo to be verified with KRA to satisfaction on values and vehicles details
- The CFS/ Port charges secured
- 4 days free – for clearance
- Port charges / CFS-stations charges payment
- The car cleared
- Other payments related for clearance:
- Agent Agencies
- Fuel to destination
- Driver option
KRA Duty Formulation
- Customs Value = CIF USD Msa x Exchange rate
- Duty = CV x Duty Rate of 25%
- Excise Value = CV +Import payable
- EX/D/P = Ex/V x EX/R of 20%
- Vat/V = EX/Duty + EX/Value
- VAT = V/V x VAT rate 16%
- RDL = CV x 1.5% rate
- IDF = 2.25% of CV
- Registration as per attached chart-varies in engine capacities
- Trade Levy varied as per volume CBM
- TOTAL DUTY PAYABLE = 1 to 10 ITEMS ABOVE
I had an excellent experience working with Matthew at Japan Car Direct. I was a first time auction buyer and importer to the United States. Mathew walked me through... read moreAlex Spiegel8/11/2022
Matthew at JCD is the man. I’ve now imported three of my own cars through him. JCD was able to accommodate my unique needs, everything from short turn around inspections,... read moreChan Shin7/29/2022
I highly recommend Japan Car Direct. They help you find exactly what you are looking for and are with you throughout the entire process. Import was seamless. Mike was great... read moreSir Selrahc7/14/2022
Before this I have never imported any vehicles to NZ let alone one from Japan! I decided to give these guys a shot and bought a JDM Tesla into the... read moreEdward Yuan7/11/2022
Great experience. Extremely easy process and Kept me well informed. Highly recommend them if looking to purchase a vehicle from Japan.Antonio Sevilla7/08/2022
It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said from other reviewers! This was my first experience importing a vehicle. Mike Nguyen was super patient with me and my indecisiveness.... read moreLaw_of_the Za6/30/2022
I used Japan Car Direct's services to import a Nissan Silvia from Japan to Australia. Mike was very helpful from start to finish and definitely made the process stress free.
The... read morematthew martin6/24/2022
Just picked up my car that I bought through JCD. I was a complete newbie about buying a car overseas and Mathew was kind enough to basically hold my... read moreTK Mad6/18/2022
I worked with Mathew on getting my first Japanese Kei truck. The process and communication were great. For me the back-and-forth communication was the reason why I decided to go... read moreJohn Penny6/12/2022
Taylor at JCD has been incredibly helpful in my search for a couple of unique rigs from overseas -- We've scored one, and are looking forward to finding another.
Taylor's professinoalism,... read morecamden lindsay5/31/2022
After seeing quite a few Kei Trucks on the road, I was intrigued. Seeing the local retail prices gave me sticker shock, so I immediately thought there has to be... read moreChris Okano5/24/2022
Can't fault these guys - this was the first time I've bought a car at any auction, let alone one in Japan. The support from Yoshiro was brilliant, very patient... read morePhil Stebbing4/14/2022
Japan Car Direct helped me find my dream car. We found a great deal on an ST205. Yoshiro was fantastic and super responsive and patient with all of my questions.... read moreBrandon Moore4/11/2022
So pleased with our companies new Japanese mini-truck import. Japan Car Direct made it all too easy. We made a few first-timer mistakes on the paperwork but the next import... read moreMARKNADEN Studio4/08/2022
Great dependable business! Highly recommended! Thank you Mathew for all your hard work!Dmitri Gordei3/30/2022