Vehicle Search Engine: Over 150,000 vehicles at auction weekly, plus thousands more on dealer lots.
Let’s find the ideal car for you today!!
Import regulations for used cars to Canada
Quick Reference: ・15 years or older ・25 years old RHD exempt in Quebec・Legal nationwide ・Shipping to East and West ports ・Inland transport service・ Great resale value
Newer Imports to the North
The laws for importing left or right hand drive vehicles from countries other than America, allow for any vehicle (excluding buses) older than 15 years to the month, to be imported into Canada. One exception to the 15 year rule is for “competition vehicles”. Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. We have also received confirmation from the Quebec Department of Motor Vehicles that RHD vehicles 25 years or older may be imported and registered in Quebec, bypassing the ban.
RORO shipping is available to Vancouver / New Westminster and Halifax. Container service is available to Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax and St. John’s. RORO rate to the West coast are $107US/M3 and East coast rates are $130US/M3. Container freight changes frequently so please request an up to date quotation.
Canada Side Import Costs
The charges that you can expect to pay Canada side when importing a vehicle are as follows:
- $250.00+gst Customs clearance / brokerage (If there is more than one vehicle on the same BL the remainder are $50.00 each.
- $125 Dock charge / unloding of vehicle (could be a bit more if it’s an SUV / truck / larger vehicle)
- $100 Excise tax (if vehicle has air conditioning)
- $43 CFIA soil exam+gst if vehicle gets flagged for
- CFIA soil exam
- Duty 6.1%
- GST 5%
Disbursement 3.0% of the total of the invoice if payment is made by credit card (you can do a direct deposit to the bank if you want to save the disbursement cost)
Required Documents for Customs Clearance
After your vehicle is on the boat and heading for Vancouver we will courier you the following documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Export Certificate
- English Translation of Export Certificate
- Bill of Sale / Commercial Invoice
- Marine Insurance
- Unless you have experience with import, we recommend using a customs clearance broker to get your vehicle cleared. We have had very good experience with, and recommend http://thompsonlogistics.com
After the vehicle has landed, if you are doing the customs clearance yourself, you also require:
- Request for Release Approval form
- Cargo Control Abstract
- These will be faxed to you from the dock where the ship lands.
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is available at Canadian Customs.
- Soil/agricultural inspection release provided by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For further information call the CBSA 24/7 at: 1-800-461-9999
- Your vehicle will be processed by WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd., and can be picked up at Unit 100-820 Dock Road, Annacis Island, Delta, BC V3M 6A3W.
To have a private used vehicle released from WWL it is the responsibility of the consignee to supply all the required documents including but not limited to:
- Bill of Lading (surrendered)
- Soil/agricultural inspection release
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1)
- First you must call WWL at 604-528-8263 to make a reservation date to pick up your vehicle. You will not be able to pick up the vehicle before that date. No appointment is necessary on the pickup day. The office hours are Mon – Fri, (excluding holidays) 8:00am to 3:30pm. Upon arriving at WWL collect your “pick up” paperwork, in order to gain access to your vehicle. The main gates are closed at 4:30 so you must remove your vehicle from the premises before then.
WWL does not provide any type of vehicle starting services so you are advised to take jumper cables, battery pack, gasoline and any other required fluids etc. If you don’t pick your vehicle up on the reservation day, storage charges accrue starting on the 4th working day at $25/day, and double to $50/day starting on the 6th day. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
All arrangements for pick up of the vehicle must be made by the consignee. The consignee must also provide the Bill of Lading number and/or the serial number of the vehicle(s), upon pick up. Terminal charges are due and payable prior to the release of the vehicle(s), and can be paid in cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to “WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd.”
If you want to do the importing yourself, we will support you every step of the way!
They've somehow made what was expected to be complicated, so simple. I got all the info I needed and imported my first JDM car without a single problem. Matthew was super fast to respond and always had an answer.
A must for exporting cars from Japan. I've exported various models with these guys now and they have been exactly how we wanted them with no underlying issues or surprises when they arrive. Very pleased and will continue to use these guys in the future!
This was my first time importing a vehicle for my personal use and naturally I was leary about who to go through. After looking through a few other places and after getting in touch with a longtime customer of theirs I decided to try these guys out. I can say without a doubt I'm glad I did. They are definitely professional and know their craft when it comes to getting you your dream car. Everything from getting cars inspected and bidding was completely transparent and went smoothly. I couldn't be happier with the car I bought and I hope down the line I'll be able to purchase another using these guys!! Thanks for all you guys do!!!
I have already purchased 3 cars from this company and have a 4th on the way. They are very nice, extremely helpful, and work around your budget. I worked with Yoshi. He is very nice and made me a lot more comfortable with the wire transfers (after purchasing the vehicle), because let’s be honest, it is nerve racking to send money to a foreign country and have to wait several weeks for your vehicle to arrive. However, everything has gone smoothly, and they make it very easy to import the car of your dreams. I will continue to go with Japan Car Direct for all my japan car needs 😀
Amazing people to work with. Answered any question I could think of and never left me hanging in during the entire process. I was always kept in the loop. Matt and his team are superb in every way. From picking my car out at auction to picking it up at port they were always there and now I have great little cappuccino to drive around now! I will be using them again to bring in another car in the near future that's for sure.