Import regulations for used cars to Canada
Quick Reference: ・15 years or older ・25 years old RHD exempt in Quebec・Legal nationwide ・Shipping to East and West ports ・Inland transport service・ Great resale value
Newer Imports to the North
The laws for importing left or right hand drive vehicles from countries other than America, allow for any vehicle (excluding buses) older than 15 years to the month, to be imported into Canada. One exception to the 15 year rule is for “competition vehicles”. Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. We have also received confirmation from the Quebec Department of Motor Vehicles that RHD vehicles 25 years or older may be imported and registered in Quebec, bypassing the ban.
RORO shipping is available to Vancouver / New Westminster and Halifax.
Canada Side Import Costs
The charges that you can expect to pay Canada side when importing a vehicle are as follows:
- $250.00+gst Customs clearance / brokerage (If there is more than one vehicle on the same BL the remainder are $50.00 each.
- $125 Dock charge / unloding of vehicle (could be a bit more if it’s an SUV / truck / larger vehicle)
- $100 Excise tax (if vehicle has air conditioning)
- $43 CFIA soil exam+gst if vehicle gets flagged for
- CFIA soil exam
- Duty 2.5% on Japanese makes / 4.4% on trucks / 6.1% on EU imports
- GST 5%
Disbursement 3.0% of the total of the invoice if payment is made by credit card (you can do a direct deposit to the bank if you want to save the disbursement cost)
Required Documents for Customs Clearance
After your vehicle is on the boat and heading for Vancouver we will courier you the following documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Export Certificate
- English Translation of Export Certificate
- Bill of Sale / Commercial Invoice
- Marine Insurance
- Unless you have experience with import, we recommend using a customs clearance broker to get your vehicle cleared. We have had very good experience with, and recommend http://thompsonlogistics.com
After the vehicle has landed, if you are doing the customs clearance yourself, you also require:
- Request for Release Approval form
- Cargo Control Abstract
- These will be faxed to you from the dock where the ship lands.
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is available at Canadian Customs.
- Soil/agricultural inspection release provided by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For further information call the CBSA 24/7 at: 1-800-461-9999
- Your vehicle will be processed by WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd., and can be picked up at Unit 100-820 Dock Road, Annacis Island, Delta, BC V3M 6A3W.
To have a private used vehicle released from WWL it is the responsibility of the consignee to supply all the required documents including but not limited to:
- Bill of Lading (surrendered)
- Soil/agricultural inspection release
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1)
- First you must call WWL at 604-528-8263 to make a reservation date to pick up your vehicle. You will not be able to pick up the vehicle before that date. No appointment is necessary on the pickup day. The office hours are Mon – Fri, (excluding holidays) 8:00am to 3:30pm. Upon arriving at WWL collect your “pick up” paperwork, in order to gain access to your vehicle. The main gates are closed at 4:30 so you must remove your vehicle from the premises before then.
WWL does not provide any type of vehicle starting services so you are advised to take jumper cables, battery pack, gasoline and any other required fluids etc. If you don’t pick your vehicle up on the reservation day, storage charges accrue starting on the 4th working day at $25/day, and double to $50/day starting on the 6th day. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
All arrangements for pick up of the vehicle must be made by the consignee. The consignee must also provide the Bill of Lading number and/or the serial number of the vehicle(s), upon pick up. Terminal charges are due and payable prior to the release of the vehicle(s), and can be paid in cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to “WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd.”
If you want to do the importing yourself, we will support you every step of the way!
I had an excellent experience working with Matthew at Japan Car Direct. I was a first time auction buyer and importer to the United States. Mathew walked me through... read moreAlex Spiegel8/11/2022
Matthew at JCD is the man. I’ve now imported three of my own cars through him. JCD was able to accommodate my unique needs, everything from short turn around inspections,... read moreChan Shin7/29/2022
I highly recommend Japan Car Direct. They help you find exactly what you are looking for and are with you throughout the entire process. Import was seamless. Mike was great... read moreSir Selrahc7/14/2022
Before this I have never imported any vehicles to NZ let alone one from Japan! I decided to give these guys a shot and bought a JDM Tesla into the... read moreEdward Yuan7/11/2022
Great experience. Extremely easy process and Kept me well informed. Highly recommend them if looking to purchase a vehicle from Japan.Antonio Sevilla7/08/2022
It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said from other reviewers! This was my first experience importing a vehicle. Mike Nguyen was super patient with me and my indecisiveness.... read moreLaw_of_the Za6/30/2022
I used Japan Car Direct's services to import a Nissan Silvia from Japan to Australia. Mike was very helpful from start to finish and definitely made the process stress free.
The... read morematthew martin6/24/2022
Just picked up my car that I bought through JCD. I was a complete newbie about buying a car overseas and Mathew was kind enough to basically hold my... read moreTK Mad6/18/2022
I worked with Mathew on getting my first Japanese Kei truck. The process and communication were great. For me the back-and-forth communication was the reason why I decided to go... read moreJohn Penny6/12/2022
Taylor at JCD has been incredibly helpful in my search for a couple of unique rigs from overseas -- We've scored one, and are looking forward to finding another.
Taylor's professinoalism,... read morecamden lindsay5/31/2022
After seeing quite a few Kei Trucks on the road, I was intrigued. Seeing the local retail prices gave me sticker shock, so I immediately thought there has to be... read moreChris Okano5/24/2022
Can't fault these guys - this was the first time I've bought a car at any auction, let alone one in Japan. The support from Yoshiro was brilliant, very patient... read morePhil Stebbing4/14/2022
Japan Car Direct helped me find my dream car. We found a great deal on an ST205. Yoshiro was fantastic and super responsive and patient with all of my questions.... read moreBrandon Moore4/11/2022
So pleased with our companies new Japanese mini-truck import. Japan Car Direct made it all too easy. We made a few first-timer mistakes on the paperwork but the next import... read moreMARKNADEN Studio4/08/2022
Great dependable business! Highly recommended! Thank you Mathew for all your hard work!Dmitri Gordei3/30/2022