Vehicle Search Engine: Over 150,000 vehicles at auction weekly, plus thousands more on dealer lots.
Let’s find the ideal car for you today!!
Import regulations for used cars to Canada
Quick Reference: ・15 years or older ・25 years old RHD exempt in Quebec・Legal nationwide ・Shipping to East and West ports ・Inland transport service・ Great resale value
The laws for importing left or right hand drive vehicles from countries other than America, allow for any vehicle (excluding buses) older than 15 years to the month, to be imported into Canada. One exception to the 15 year rule is for “competition vehicles”. Competition Vehicles are designed for use exclusively in closed-course competition. We have also received confirmation from the Quebec Department of Motor Vehicles that RHD vehicles 25 years or older may be imported and registered in Quebec, bypassing the ban.
There is RORO (roll on roll off) shipping to Vancouver / New Westminster, and Halifax. There is also container service to Vancouver & Montreal and to inland destinations by train or truck. Please inquire for current freight rates. The charges that you can expect to pay Canada side when importing a vehicle are as follows:
- $200.00-$300.00 Off-loading costs and customs clearance (If more than one vehicle is on the same BL the others cost $50.00)
- 6.1% Duty
- $100.00 Excise tax for air conditioning
- $43.00 CBSA Soil Examination Fee
- Additional excise taxes for vehicles over 2007kg
- 5% GST of (Vehicle Cost + Duty + Excise Taxes)
- PST if applicable in your province (payable at the time of registration)
Required Documents for Customs Clearance
After your vehicle is on the boat and heading for Vancouver we will courier you the following documents:
- Bill of Lading
- Export Certificate
- English Translation of Export Certificate
- Bill of Sale / Commercial Invoice
- Marine Insurance
- Unless you have experience with import, we recommend using a customs clearance broker to get your vehicle cleared. We have had very good experience with, and recommend http://thompsonlogistics.com
After the vehicle has landed, if you are doing the customs clearance yourself, you also require:
- Request for Release Approval form
- Cargo Control Abstract
- These will be faxed to you from the dock where the ship lands.
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) is available at Canadian Customs.
- Soil/agricultural inspection release provided by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For further information call the CBSA 24/7 at: 1-800-461-9999
- Your vehicle will be processed by WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd., and can be picked up at Unit 100-820 Dock Road, Annacis Island, Delta, BC V3M 6A3W.
To have a private used vehicle released from WWL it is the responsibility of the consignee to supply all the required documents including but not limited to:
- Bill of Lading (surrendered)
- Soil/agricultural inspection release
- Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form (Form 1)
- First you must call WWL at 604-528-8263 to make a reservation date to pick up your vehicle. You will not be able to pick up the vehicle before that date. No appointment is necessary on the pickup day. The office hours are Mon – Fri, (excluding holidays) 8:00am to 3:30pm. Upon arriving at WWL collect your “pick up” paperwork, in order to gain access to your vehicle. The main gates are closed at 4:30 so you must remove your vehicle from the premises before then.
WWL does not provide any type of vehicle starting services so you are advised to take jumper cables, battery pack, gasoline and any other required fluids etc. If you don’t pick your vehicle up on the reservation day, storage charges accrue starting on the 4th working day at $25/day, and double to $50/day starting on the 6th day. There is no charge for weekends and holidays.
All arrangements for pick up of the vehicle must be made by the consignee. The consignee must also provide the Bill of Lading number and/or the serial number of the vehicle(s), upon pick up. Terminal charges are due and payable prior to the release of the vehicle(s), and can be paid in cash or cheque. Cheques should be made payable to “WWL Vehicle Services Canada Ltd.”
If you want to do the importing yourself, we will support you every step of the way!
Japan Car Direct provides friendly, honest, efficient service.
Get the vehicles you want today at a price you can afford!